Some people just don’t get it. There’s a lot of great things about Louisville that outsiders don’t understand. Here’s how to pick out a true Louisvillian.
1. They Pronounce it “Lou-E-Ville”
The first way you can tell if somebody’s not from Louisville is the way you pronounce it. Lou-E-Ville’s bad, but Louis-ville is even worse. It’s Lou-Uh-Ville.
2. They Ask for Their Bourbon On The Rocks
If you need ice with your bourbon, then you just simply aren’t from Louisville. God forbid you ask for it with Coke.
Credit: Red White and Bourbon
3. They Hang Out At Fourth Street Live
There’s so many badass places to hang out in Louisville. If you were a native, you wouldn’t be wasting your weekends hanging out here.
Credit: The Green Derby Gallop
4. They Think The Derby Infield Isn’t “Classy”
We don’t give a shit if it’s not “classy.” Yeah, there might not be seats, and you might not be able to see the race. But there’s booze and a party, and when you’re from Louisville, you’re ok with that.
5. They Ask How The Bats Are Doing in The MLB
If you ask how the Bats are doing in the MLB, you’ll probably get a facepalm in response.
Credit: The Bats Signal
6. They’ve Never Been ToA�Cherokee Park
Perhaps one of Louisville’s best kept secrets. If you’re a native, you’ve spent time at Cherokee Park, and you know how awesome it is. If you aren’t, you’re probably still trying to figure out what it is.
Credit: Lizzie Morrison Photography
7. They Don’t Mind The I-65 Traffic
All. The Damn. Time.
8. They Don’t Get The Fuss About The New Bridge-Toll
It’s like a mile trip… Don’t make us pay for it.
Credit: Globe Images
9. They Ask For Pop
It’s not pop. It’s not soda. It’s not a soft drink. It’s not even Pepsi. It’s always Coke, and always will be.
10. They’ve Never Done The Bambi Walk
Every true Louisvillian has at least started The Bambi Walk. Extra points if you’ve actually finished it, and drank at each bar.
11. They Prefer Chipotle Over Qdoba
If there’s a Qdoba right down the road, and you’re asking where you can get Chipotle, we know you aren’t from around here.
Credit: Penn Live
12. They Ask About Our Pro-Sports Teams
Salt in the wounds, man. Salt in the wounds.
13. They Prefer Canada Dry Over Ale-8
Ale-8 trumps all. It’s that simple. If you’re asking for something else, then you must not be local.
14. They’ve Never Had A Hot Brown
It’s one of signature foods. It started here at the Brown Hotel, and if you don’t get it, you’re probably from out-of-town.
15. They Haven’t Been Pulled Over By A Mustang On 264
It’s happened to the best of us.
16. They Don’t Get The Traffic On Bardstown Road
It just shouldn’t be like this.
17. Not Knowing At Least 3 Shortcuts In The Highlands
A true native knows the way around.
Credit: Coyote Communities
18. They Don’t Know Who Hunter S. Thompson Is
Bow down to the true Louisville badass. Ask any of us, and we’ll tell you exactly who this dude is.
19. They Prefer KFC Over Real Kentucky Fried Chicken
What’s that? You don’t know what Indi’s is? Yeah, you’re not from here.
Credit: Indi’s Fast Food Restaurant